As a rule, the Swiss Young Academy has 25 - 30 members from different scientific disciplines and universities. Prerequisites for the five-year membership are outstanding achievements at university level, motivation and willingness to show a high level of commitment and a keen interest in interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary cooperation and a connection to research, education and innovation in Switzerland.
Diversity and inclusion are as central to the work of the Swiss Young Academy as is equal opportunity. We therefore welcome applications from academics from underrepresented groups in the higher education landscape. When selecting our members, we also pay special attention to diversity in terms of language regions, gender, academic disciplines, types of higher education institutions, academic degrees and age.
What are the benefits of a membership?
- As a member of the Swiss Young Academy, you become part of the largest scientific network in Switzerland;
- you play an important role in representing other up-and-coming scientists;
- through your work on joint projects, the members of the Young Academy present recommendations for science- and social-policy challenges;
- you also benefit from a mentoring programme for five years as well as personal support measures that will strengthen your skills;
- you have access to the infrastructure of the House of the Academies, the headquarter of the Swiss Academies of Arts and Sciences in Bern, for meetings and events.
- An interest in inter- and transdisciplinary cooperation and the implementation of joint and personal projects
- Outstanding achievements at university level
- Willingness to take part in the general assemblies held each year (one to three times a year)
- Be aged no more than 40 years when taking office
- Academic connection to research, innovation and education in Switzerland
- A specialist medical training (for doctors) or a doctorate (for all other scientists) or the highest possible degree that was completed no more than seven years ago.
- Good knowledge of English (correspondence language is English)
The election of the members of the Young Academy is held alternately by the Board of directors of the Swiss Academies of Arts and Sciences and by an election commission of the Young Academy, which is appointed by the active members. The election takes place via an application procedure. Interviews are also possible in the process.
The application deadline is 28 February 2023. The admission ceremony for the new members will take place on 16 June in Bern.
What do I have to fill in and submit in order to apply?
- Fill in the form below
- Upload CV in the form
- Upload letter of motivation in the form (Download template)
- Upload letter of support (max. 1 page A4) in the form
- Upload photo (300 dpi) in the form
(!) If possible, please combine the documents (except photo) and upload them as one pdf file.